Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Lesson 4 - Colorizing

Colorizing is a technique similar to duotone except you are imposing a gradient upon the image, rather than a set of two colors.




This is an image from the tutorial cd I colorized. I used a fairly simple gradient with a white cream and reddish brown. I like how the background is slightly washed out, while her face retains a lot of detail.


This was also created from images on the tutorial cd. I layered the butterfly wing and fireworks images with a screen mode on the fireworks if I remember correctly. This caused the black night sky of the fireworks to become transparent. After that, I applied a gradient that included colors from the fireworks and butterfly wing. I feel that it still retains the traditional monarch butterfly's orange and black colors, while making them appear to explode with reds and yellows you'd see in fireworks.
Matthew Williams

No comments: